Saturday, February 12, 2011

Kinesics (Jandt 119)

     Communication doesn't just stop with oral language, there are many other ways to communicate with others using both verbal and nonverbal forms. One of these forms is called kinesics. Kinesics are things such as gestures, body movements, facial expressions, and eye contact. Some of these gestures are universal but some others aren't and sometimes pose misinterpretations. The example given in An Introduction to Intercultural Communication Identities in a Global Community talks about eye contact between American culture versus Asian culture. In America eye contact is deemed a sign of respect and attentiveness yet in Asian culture it is deemed as being disrespectful, this goes to show you that one must be conscious and wary when doing something. 
    While traveling, which I tend to do at least once a year, I have to be careful how I come across to strangers. Although sometimes modes of communication I'm so used to doing is portrayed subconsciously without my knowing. For example back home in Hawaii when you meet someone you greet them with a hug, and possibly a kiss on the check, not a firm handshake. So when i moved to Oregon for college I had the awkward movement of pushing my body back and sticking out my  hand in hello while meeting others. Of course I got used to it over time but the funny part is when I came back home to the islands. I was awkwardly surprised and comforted when I received a hug  and kiss that was once to normal to me. 
     This illustration shows some common kinesics, can you  notice what emotion each picture displays without looking? I even had a hard time which shows that from culture to culture there's bound to be some misinterpretation.

 

    

1 comment:

  1. I like your picture. It is kind of hard to just guess what picture means what, but i think its weird how sometimes we have to use non verbal communication and we think that what were trying to say is so easy to figure out, but the other person is having such a hard time. I also found it interesting that in certain cultures it is rude to look people in the eye. The way i was raised was that if i dont look at someone in the eye while im speaking to them or theyre speaking to me than that is rude, and something i could get in trouble for. Its very interesting to learn about different cultures and how they communicate non verbally.

    ReplyDelete